Back in the pre-Pandora days of Animal Kingdom, in the lovely Camp Minnie-Mickey section of the park, there was the only nod to Christmas at Animal Kingdom. There were many Christmas trees, each decorated by a different Disney character. They were adorable! We would stop by every December to see them.
For the last several years, Christmas didn’t come to Animal Kingdom, maybe maybe Santa got tired of the broken Yeti and put the park on the naughty list? I don’t know what happened but it has always seemed that Christmas at Animal Kingdom was and afterthought at best and ignored at worst.
All of that is changing! Disney’s Animal Kingdom will introduce the biggest holiday season in its two-decade history, with festive new entertainment and holiday décor in every land. Daytime and nighttime, guests will experience the majesty of nature and holiday magic.
This Christmas at Animal Kingdom
- A Christmas tree will tower over the park entrance. Decorated with traditional ornaments and hidden animals, the tree is a prelude to the holiday magic that awaits inside the park. (this is not new-it has been there every year)
- In the heart of the park, on Discovery Island, guests will find themselves immersed in a magical scene. By day, stylized, life-sized animal puppets mingle with villagers who make the island their home. As day becomes night, rooftop luminaries in animal shapes and bird lanterns throughout Discovery Island will bring a warm glow to the village.
- As the sun sets, the Tree of Life will awaken with a series of wintry tales emerging from within, backed by a familiar and heartwarming holiday musical score. Between awakening moments, the Tree of Life will shimmer and sparkle throughout the night, alive with the magic of nature and the spirit of the holidays.
- Dinoland, U.S.A. will rock out with the DJ-led “Holiday Hoopla Dance Party with Chip ‘n Dale” and plenty of interactive fun and games. Throughout the land, characters gathered for “Donald’s Dino-Bash!” will get in the holiday spirit with colorful costumes.
- Diwali, the Holiday Festival of Lights in India, has inspired the residents of Anandapur in Glowing flowers, lanterns and more will illuminate the main square leading to the waterfront stage, home to authentic and colorful cultural performances.
- The village of Harambe in Africa will welcome guests with a unique holiday presentation, fusing Western traditions with the colors and texture of authentic African celebrations; colorful costuming and new music flavors each performance.
- Tusker House diners get their merry on as Safari Donald Duck and his pals spread holiday cheer.
- Guests will find out-of-this-world holiday fun at Pandora – The World of Avatar. Ex-pats living and working on the moon of Pandora roll out seasonal cheer with a display at Pongu Pongu of whimsical holiday décor, pairing vintage pieces from Earth with items handcrafted from materials indigenous to Pandora.
I am very excited to check out all of the new Christmas at Animal Kingdom offerings while we are on our December Disney vacation! Have you planned your next trip to Walt Disney World yet? I’m a Disney vacation specialist/travel agent just Email me and we can start planning your memorable Disney vacation.