As you know, we are trying to eat healthier and we are taking a baby step approach to the changes we are making. Before our road trip I was contacted by Ancient Harvest to try some of their plant-based protein pastas. I told them we would be happy to give them a try once we returned home. I used the POW! Pasta Green Lentil Penne in my One Pan Penne Pasta Dinner recipe.
About Pow! Pastas
Ancient Harvest’s POW! Pasta provide the market’s first legume-and-quinoa noodles. That means you get a plant-based protein feast in every bite. With up to 25 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber per 3.5 serving, the POW! lineup includes eight family-friendly options.
- Four POW! Pasta shapes – Green Lentil Penne, Red Lentil Rotini, Green Lentil Spaghetti and Red Lentil Linguini – each made with just two or three whole-food ingredients with no fillers, stabilizers, gums or added sodium. They’re also gluten-free, non-GMO, kosher, vegan, and lower in sugar than most competitive brands. (MSRP $2.99)
- Three POW! Mac & Cheese varieties – Mild Cheddar Elbows, Sharp Cheddar Shells and White Cheddar Shells – with cheesy, gluten-free, red lentil and quinoa noodles that even the pickiest eaters will love. All three SKUs have less sodium, fat and sugar content than most other non-wheat mac and cheese products and are made from non-GMO and organic ingredients including organic quinoa and cheese. (MSRP $2.99)
I received one box of the Green Lentil Penne and a few boxes of the Sharp Cheddar Shells Mac & Cheese. I haven’t had a chance to make the Mac & Cheese yet but my Mac & Cheese connoisseur had some the other day. He said it was lacking in flavor but he ate it all so it wasn’t horrible. When I get to try it I’ll share my thoughts on my Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook pages.
One Pan Penne Pasta Dinner Recipe
This is a very basic pasta dish but I love it because it is quick and easy to whip up, and I only have one pan to wash afterwards. I make this dish in my Calphalon Sautee pan because it is great for both browning the meat and letting the pasta cook in the liquid.
This One pan Penne Pasta dinner is a very basic pasta dish but I love it because it is quick and easy to whip up, and I only have one pan to wash afterwards.
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 24 oz spaghetti sauce I use Ragu traditional
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups POW! Pasta Green Lentil Penne
- 1 cup Italian Blend shredded cheese
In a large sautee pan, brown the sausage, drain if necessary.
Add spaghetti sauce and water. Mix well
Stir in the POW! Pasta green lentil penne.
Bring to a boil; cover.
Simmer on medium-low heat for about 18 minutes, until penne is tender, stirring occasionally.
Once penne is cooked, top with cheese and cover. Cook a minute or two, until cheese is melted.
Serve with garlic bread and salad.
I figured I’d just be serving this meal to Ron and I but our friend Rb stopped by just as I was getting dinner on the table so I invited him to join us. I waited until they had both taken several bites before I mentioned that this was green lentil penne and not traditional pasta 😉 They both said they couldn’t tell the difference, and neither could I! I know that POW! Pasta is available at our local market, you can check out the store locator at the top of the POW! Pasta page. I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!