Hubby and I both like Buffalo wings but sometimes it is just cost prohibitive to go out and get wings. For this reason, I have sought out easy recipes that I can make at home. I found a cumbersome Buffalo chicken Casserole recipe online and I simplified it so that we could all enjoy it.
This recipe feeds 2-4 people but it could easily be doubled and made in a 9×13″ pan to feed a larger family.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cubed chicken (follow my recipe for crockpot shredded chicken but cube it instead.
- 1/2 box Penne Pasta
- 1/3 cup Buffalo sauce
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 TBS butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 TBS flour
- 1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- In a medium pot melt butter.
- Add garlic to the butter and cook for about a minute, don't let it brown or it will be bitter.
- Add flour to post and mix with fork until combined.
- Whisk in the Buffalo sauce.
- Pour the milk into the pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil lower the heat to the lowest setting. Add the cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of mozzarella. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Spray an 8" square baking dish with non-stick spray.
- When the pasta is cooked and drained, pour it into the pan with the Buffalo sauce, add the chicken and mix well.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs and remaining mozzarella cheese over the casserole.
- Bake for 15 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted on top.
1. To make chicken follow my Crockpot Shredded chicken recipe, but cube the chicken instead of shredding it.
2. If the chicken is cold, warm it up a bit in the microwave before adding it to the casserole.
The other day my husband brought home 3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts that he got on sale. I immediately popped them in the crockpot and followed my Shredded Chicken recipe. I got 1 1/2 cups of cubed chicken for this recipe and 6 cups of shredded chicken, which I separated into two 3 cup portions and froze for future recipes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!