I gave Jordan some flavor combination choices based on some I had pinned and he chose chocolate/peanut butter. I read several recipes to get a good idea of how to create this flavor packed delight. I ended up going a bit rogue and concocting my own recipe.
- 1 Brownie mix 13x9" size, eggs and oil as called for on box
- 1 Instant Chocolate Pudding 5 oz size
- 3 cups + 2 TBS cold milk
- 2 small containers Cool Whip 8 oz size
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 1 c Confectioner's Sugar
- 21 oz Skippy Smooth Peanut Butter 3/4 of a 28oz jar
- 8 oz Mini Reece's Peanut Butter Cups
- Make the brownies according to the instructions on the box.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut into 1" cubes.
- Make the pudding according to the instructions on the box.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to set-up.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together 1 container of Cool Whip, Cream Cheese, Confectioner's Sugar, Peanut Butter and 2 TBS milk.
- Layer 1/2 the brownie chunks on the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover the brownies with 1/2 of the peanut butter mixture.
- Next, add a layer of 1/2 of the chocolate pudding.
- Carefully cover the pudding in a layer of 1/2 the container of Cool Whip.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the mini Reece's Cups on top of the Cool Whip.
- Repeat the layers again: brownie, peanut butter, pudding, Cool Whip, candy
- Refrigerate til serving.
Since we were going to be eating this at the end of a very busy day, I pre-made most of the ingredients the night before. I cooked the brownies, made the pudding and the peanut butter layers in advance. I just kept the pudding and peanut butter in the refrigerator. I took the peanut butter mixture out of the fridge about 15 minutes before assembling so it could warm up a bit. I added about 2 TBS of additional milk and whipped it for a minute or two before layering it.
This Peanut Butter Cup Trifle was easy to whip up and a huge hit at the party. My nephew asked if I would make him one instead of a birthday cake this year! The trifle easily fed the 13 of us at the party with a little left over. Make sure you have a long spoon for serving! I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!