Growing up I hated eggs and sausage. Still, unless they are in a casserole, I only like my eggs over easy and don’t you dare break the yolk! I also like scrambled sausage but not links and I have yet to try patties. I know, I have A LOT of food issues. Since being introduced to breakfast casseroles a few years ago, I have fallen in love with them. I’ve already shared my Overnight Breakfast Casserole and my Holiday Breakfast Casserole with you so today we are doing something a little bit different, a Breakfast Bake with Hash Brown Crust. This recipe is inspired by some I found on Pinterest but I have changed it up a bit.
- 4 cups shredded hash browns thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 lb sausage
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a bowl combine the hash browns, 1 cup of cheese and vegetable oil.
- Press hash brown mixture into bottom and up sides of a medium casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- While the crust is cooking, brown and scramble the sausage.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs.
- Mix in the sausage, 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper
- Decrease oven temperature to 350°
- Pour filling into pre-baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
You can substitute 6 crumbled cooked bacon strips for the sausage.
You can also add veggies if you like.
Jordan said this is his favorite breakfast casserole to date. Ron also found it very flavorful. I enjoyed it bit the Holiday Breakfast Casserole is still my favorite. Jordan wants me to make it with bacon next time so, if I can find some on sale, I may just do that.
It takes some time for the hash browns to thaw so make sure you do at least that the night before you plan to make this. I would actually recommend making the crust and the filling the night before and combining them to bake in the morning to cut down on morning prep if you want to serve this on a school day. You could even bake it the night before and just reheat it in the morning. I enjoyed the leftovers reheated in the microwave the next day.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!