Mason jars are a staple of Aaron & Summer’s wedding decor. Mason Jars only come in a few colors though and we wanted some of our jars to be a teal/turquoise color. Everywhere we go our color has a different name! Anyway, I saw a few tutorials on Pinterest for tinting mason jars and I have tried a few of them out. The first attempt came out so light you didn’t even know they were tinted unless they were against a white background. Other attempts have worked better and now I have combined a few tutorials into the method that has worked best for me. I hope it works well for you too!
How to Tint Mason Jars
- Mason Jars-any size
- liquid food coloring
- Mod Podge-Gloss
- wax paper
- baking sheet
- disposable bowls
- plastic spoons
- Cover your work surface with newspaper.
- Off to the side make a stack of 3-4 layers of newspaper for your drying area.
- Pour a few globs of Mod Podge into a bowl, add 15-20 drops of desired color and a spoonful or two of water.
- Mix completely.
- Pour the colored mixture into a mason jar.
- Swirl the jar around to completely cover the inside with color.
- Pour leftover color mixture into the next jar.
- Once a jar has been covered and the excess poured out, place the jar upside down on the newspaper to continue dripping for about 30 minutes.
- Repeat steps 5-8 until you run our of the color mixture or jars.
- Preheat the oven to 250° F.
- Cover a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Place the mason jars mouth down on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Now turn the jars mouth up and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Check to see if the jars are clear. If they are still a bit milky, continue baking and checking every 15 minutes until they are clear.
- Allow the jars to cool completely before filling them with decorative items.
I hope you found this craft tutorial helpful. I have had a lot of fun trying new things for the wedding. Did you see my Glitter Mason Jars? I’ll be posting other wedding crafts as I complete them. Right now I have 8 more mason jars to tint!
You will like these posts too!
Click on the image to see the post