Monsters University is the movie I am most excited about this summer. This week Disney-Pixar released the full voice cast for what is sure to be a summer blockbuster.
Disney•Pixar’s “Monsters University” welcomes some of Hollywood’s top stars to its roster of voice talent for this summer’s frighteningly funny comedy adventure, opening in U.S. theaters on June 21, 2013. Joining Billy Crystal and John Goodman are Steve Buscemi, Helen Mirren, Alfred Molina, Dave Foley, Sean P. Hayes, Joel Murray, Peter Sohn, Charlie Day, Nathan Fillion, Bobby Moynihan, Julia Sweeney, Aubrey Plaza, Tyler Labine, John Krasinski, Bonnie Hunt, Beth Behrs and John Ratzenberger. Also revealed this week were the story and screenplay credits. Directed by Dan Scanlon, “Monsters University” features a story and screenplay by Daniel Gerson & Robert L. Baird (“Monsters, Inc.”) and Scanlon.
Scanlon says the cast was able to bring the story to life with great ingenuity and enthusiasm. “Working with this group of actors was an extraordinary experience. They each brought a unique level of humor, emotion and creativity to their work that not only complemented their individual performances, but made the overall story come together in a really wonderful way.”
OOZMA KAPPA (OK)
A collection of wholesome, good-natured misfits, the adorable brothers of Oozma Kappa (OK) have bonded over their inability to make it through the Scaring Program. With only four bodies in the house, they don’t even have enough members to compete in the Scare Games. What they lack in Scariness and self-confidence, they make up for in heart.
- MIKE WAZOWSKI (voice of Billy Crystal)-Mike Wazowski’s lifelong dream is to become a Scarer at Monsters, Inc.—and he’s sure he knows just how to do it. Ever since he was a young monster, Mike’s had his eye on Monsters University, home of the world’s top Scare Program. Now a freshman and hopeful Scare student, he’s well versed in the rich history, theory and technique required to reach his goal, and the little green one-eyed monster has more confidence, enthusiasm, determination and heart than all of his classmates combined. But unexpected roadblocks derail Mike’s plans and he’s forced to team up with a group of misfit monsters and an unlikely ally to give it the old college try and pull off the biggest coup in the University’s history.
- JAMES P. SULLIVAN—“SULLEY” (voice of John Goodman)-When it comes to Scaring, Sulley’s a natural—his abundant size, fierce roar and family legacy of a long line of high-achieving Scarers make him a shoo-in for the esteemed Scare Program at Monsters University. But from the moment the overly confident monster steps his big furry feet on campus, it’s clear he’d rather crack jokes than books—and he learns the hard way that his unfettered talent and family ties can only get him so far. With his ego bruised and future in jeopardy, a stubborn Sulley must put his pride aside, team up with an odd bunch of misfit monsters and actually work if he wants to live up to his true Scaring potential.
- TERRI & TERRY PERRY (voices of Dave Foley & Sean Hayes)-When it comes to Terri and Terry, it’s hard not to ask, “Are two heads really better than one?” These bickering brothers have little in common: Terri with an “i” is a real romantic who’s quick to spot the silver lining in any situation, while older brother Terry with a “y” sports a more cynical outlook on life. If they can stop squabbling long enough to work with their Oozma Kappa brothers—they might be able to put their heads together—literally—and find their place in Monsters University’s Scare Program once and for all.
- SCOTT “SQUISHY” SQUIBBLES (voice of Pete Sohn)-Scott Squibbles gives new meaning to the term “undeclared.” A sophomore whose dream of becoming a Scarer was squashed in his first year at Monsters University, “Squishy” is a bit of a wide-eyed wanderer—small, sweet, naïve and quiet—who, not surprisingly, still lives with his doting mother. But with a little help from his Oozma Kappa brothers, Squishy begins to realize he’s more than just that shy monster in the corner.
- ART (voice of Charlie Day)-The ultimate free spirit, Art is a mysterious monster with a questionable background. By far the strangest member of the Oozma Kappas, Art bowls over the competition—sometimes literally—with his unique dexterity and wild-card ways. Nothing is scarier than the unpredictable, especially when it comes to this furry ball of bad.
- DON CARLTON (voice of Joel Murray)-Is a “mature” student at Monsters University and a founding member of the Oozma Kappa (OK) fraternity.
- CLAIRE WHEELER, GREEK COUNCIL PRESIDENT (voice of Aubrey Plaza)-Claire Wheeler is the Greek Council president at Monsters University, and this year she is one of the chosen emcees for the school’s annual Scare Games. Don’t be fooled by Claire’s brooding exterior and monotone drawl—banal in appearance, on the inside she is a galvanizing force of school spirit who diligently warns the Scare Game participants of the dangers they will face.
- BROCK PEARSON, GREEK COUNCIL VICE PRESIDENT (voice of Tyler Labine)-This preppy-looking fraternity monster has been chosen to assist the Greek Council president in emceeing the school’s annual Scare Games. Jock-like and what some might refer to as a “meathead,” Brock is a loud, enthusiastic emcee who relishes the danger of the Scare Games’ challenges.
- RANDY BOGGS (voice of Steve Buscemi)-Monsters University freshman Randy Boggs has big aspirations for college life. The peculiar lizard-like monster with his host of gangly arms and legs plans to major in Scaring and lead an active social life filled with fun, friends and fraternity parties. If only he could get his embarrassing disappearing habit under control, he’d be good to go, because how is he ever going to be a great Scarer if nobody can see him?
- DEAN HARDSCRABBLE (voice of Helen Mirren)-To Dean Hardscrabble, there are scary monsters and there are all other monsters. It’s no surprise she feels this way—she is, after all, a legendary Scarer and Dean of the School of Scaring at Monsters University. Aspiring Scare students must be up for the challenge to impress her, though she is convinced that her assessment of who is truly scary and who is not is never wrong.
- PROFESSOR KNIGHT (voice of Alfred Molina)-Professor Knight teaches Scaring 101, the introductory course to Scaring at Monsters University. With hundreds of new Scare students each year, Professor Knight must weed out the weak from the talented and identify who shows the most potential to be real Scarers. Only a few have what it takes to pass the formidable final exam and move on to the elite Scaring Program.
- JOHNNY WORTHINGTON (voice of Nathan Fillion) The confident president of Roar Omega Roar (ROR), a Monsters University fraternity that prides itself on its notable Scarers.
- CHET ALEXANDER (voice of Bobby Moynihan) Is a yes-monster member of the Roar Omega Roar (ROR) fraternity.
- MS. SQUIBBLES (voice of Julia Sweeney) Is the indulgent mother to Monsters University sophomore Scott “Squishy” Squibbles.
- “FRIGHTENING” FRANK McCY (voice of John Krasinski) Is a Scaring super star at Monsters, Inc.
- KAREN GRAVES (voice of Bonnie Hunt) Young Mike Wazowski’s grade school teacher .
- CARRIE WILLIAMS (voice of Beth Behrs) The fearless leader of the Python Nu Kappa (PNK) sorority.
- John Ratzenberger returns to the Pixar recording studio as the voice of a Monsters, Inc. employee.
Screaming with laughter and oozing with heart, Disney•Pixar’s “Monsters University” is directed by Dan Scanlon (“Cars,” “Mater and the Ghostlight,” “Tracy”), produced by Kori Rae (“Up,” “The Incredibles,” “Monsters, Inc.”) and features music from future Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Randy Newman (“Monsters, Inc.,” “Toy Story 3”).
Are you as excited about this movie as I am? Leave me a comment and let me know