I spent part of last night watching my 15 year old son play the new LEGO Universe MMOG game. He was totally in his element wielding his sword, collecting LEGO bricks and attacking the bad guys. I am REALLY strict about what games I allow into the house and we’ve only played 3 other MMOGs before this one. LEGO has gone to great lengths to ensure player safety. As he played, my son met friends who joined with him and helped him complete missions in the game.In his words, “This is a lot of fun.”
LEGO Universe brings the LEGO play experience online in the first MMOG – massively-multiplayer online game – created for LEGO fans of all ages. In LEGO Universe you will discover a world that sparks the imagination, full of opportunities to build, play and interact with LEGO fans from all over the globe. Build anything you can dream up, and help shape the constantly evolving LEGO Universe through adventure, exploration and battle in an original storyline.
As always, safety for children is the LEGO Group’s top priority. LEGO Universe is a great way for families to play together in a safe online environment, and is designed to foster creativity and social interaction in young children and veteran gamers alike. LEGO Universe represents a collaboration between the LEGO Group and fans, who have been called upon to help shape the game world – from testing and contributing ideas, to building actual game content alongside professional developers.
In LEGO Universe, players can build, explore, battle, make friends and express their creativity – all in an exciting online world of LEGO past, present and future. The game features several ways to utilize the iconic brick, from simple, gameplay-oriented building challenges to complex creative designs.
- Customize – Players customize their own Minifigure avatar to explore the LEGO Universe, expressing their personality or becoming someone entirely new. Numerous customization options allow for creativity and individuality.
- Socialize – Interact with LEGO fans from all over the world through in-depth community and social features, designed with children’s safety in mind. Play – LEGO Universe features a deep original storyline for players to explore, encountering new worlds and collaborating with other players to complete quests and achieve common goals.
- Build – The physical brick-building experience moves online with LEGO Universe. Exercising their creativity with LEGO bricks, players can bring their wildest creations to life with a user-friendly programming language.
- Specs: LEGO Universe is available for PC and Mac, and requires minimal system specifications to maximize play options for all user
- Credit: LEGO Universe is being published by the LEGO Group, developed by NetDevil and distributed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
LEGO Universe is rated E10+ for cartoon violence and I feel it will appeal to ages 10-adult. When LEGO Universe debuted at this year’s E3 Expo it earned rave reviews from many reviewers including Mashable, GamePro and PC Gamer.
LEGO Universe sells for $39.99 and that includes 1 free month of play. After that you can purchase a subscription of 1, 6 or 12 months for $9.99, $49.99 and $89.99 respectively.
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of the game and a free 1 month subscription for the purpose of this review all opinions are 100% mine and my son’s