It’s Either Her or Me-A Guide to Help a Mom and her Daughter-in-Law Get Along by Ellie Slott Fisher is a book that I think should be required reading for all mothers-of-the-groom and brides-to-be. I know there are a lot of mother-in-law jokes out there and for the first several years of my marriage I would have told you they weren’t true and I had the best MIL in the world. Then one very dark January day, I saw the truth, the curtain was lifted and all of the ugliness was exposed. It was so bad my marriage almost ended and to this day, our relationship with my husband’s family is strained and untrusting.
In It’s Either Her or Me, relationship expert Ellie Slott Fisher examines the complex dynamics of these potentially fraught relationships and how they can be made rich in rewards for all parties. As a wife and the mother of a grown son, Fisher has been on both ends of the spectrum. She recounts her own experiences and those of the mothers, sons, girlfriends, fiancées, wives, and even sisters she interviewed. With the help of psychologist Dr. Beatrice Lazaroff and licensed professional counselor Esther Ganz, Fisher offers practical solutions to help women on both sides cope—and thrive—in this most sensitive of relationships. Discover how to
• gauge when it’s time to voice an opinion—and when it’s best to bite your tongue
• reach out to the woman in your son’s life without being overbearing
• handle the partner or mother-in-law who’s truly impossible
• show respect to your partner’s mother
• ensure that your partner’s mother respects your boundaries
• deal with jealous sisters and other difficult family members
• and much more
As a mom of 2 teen sons I am soaking up all the information in this book. I have witnessed both good and bad mother-in-laws and I want to be a good one, some day. I know it won’t be easy stepping off the pedestal of my son’s life but that is how it is supposed to happen. A man should always put his wife and her needs and wishes above those of his mother. It just doesn’t always happen that way.
As daughters-in-law we need to know when to acquiesce to our MIL and when to flex our muscle as the wife. It’s Either Her or Me: A Guide to Help a Mom and Her Daughter-in-Law Get Along is an important book, that needed to be written.
One of you will get your own copy to read…or share with a friend who really needs to read it.
Mandatory 1st Entry Are you a MIL or DIL…or both? What is your biggest challenge in that relationship? Leave me a comment letting me know.
Bonus Entries Leave a separate comment for each entry.
- Subscribe to my RSS feed (click on orange heart in my sidebar) current subscribers get an entry too
- Follow my blog on Networked blogs (in my sidebar) current followers get entries too
- Follow @MomMaven and @EllieSFischer on Twitter and tweet this: “@MomMaven I need to read @EllieSFischer ‘s new book “It’s Either Her or Me” http://bit.ly/aTF1ET” You may do this 1x a day for extra entries.
This giveaway is open to US residents only. The winner will be chosen by Random.org. This giveaway ends at 10pm on 4/22/10.
Disclaimer: I received 1 copy of this book for review. no money changed hands.