The summer heat is here in Florida so I am on a quest for lighter dishes I can serve for dinner. We are also trying to eat a bit healthier so that means we can’t go out for wings once a week, now it is once a month…baby steps, I can’t give them up forever. Yes, I already have several Buffalo Chicken recipes on the site including my Buffalo Chicken Casserole, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and Baked Buffalo Chicken Nuggets, so why add more? Because I can 😛 No really though, who doesn’t need Buffalo Chicken Mac n Cheese in their life? I’m so glad I do!
This recipe requires 1 pound of cooked, shredded chicken. I usually have this ready and in zippy bags in my freezer. If you need to learn how to do this, here is my How to Make Shredded Chicken in a Crockpot post.
- 8 oz Elbow Macaroni uncooked
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup milk
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 TBS butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/2 cup Ranch Dressing optional
- 1/2 cup Bleu Cheese Crumbles optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken and the Buffalo Wing Sauce and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni following the directions on the package.
- In a small sauce pan whisk together the cornstarch and the milk.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- While it simmers add in the butter and stir until melted.
- The sauce will thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon. When it does add the Sharp Cheddar Cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Drain the macaroni and the pour it into a large bowl.
- Add the cheese sauce to the macaroni and mix well.
- Add the chicken to the macaroni and cheese and mix well.
- Serve in bowls and let the diners choose to top their bowl with bleu cheese crumples, additional cheddar cheese and/or a drizzle of ranch dressing.
You could also use shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken.
This Buffalo Chicken Mac n Cheese recipe is a light yet flavorful twist on two old favorites. It also reheats well, which is a plus. I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!