Trifles are such a fun and beautiful dessert. I love making them for special occasions. This Peppermint Trifle is the fourth trifle recipe I’ve shared. It goes along with my Strawberry Trifle, Peanut Butter Cup Trifle and my Chocolate Toffee Trifle. I was asked to bring the dessert for our Schultz Thanksgiving celebration and right away I knew it was time to create a new trifle recipe!
This trifle has 3 easy layers a layer of chocolate cake, a layer of chocolate pudding, and a layer of peppermint mousse. When I am bring a trifle to an event, I don’t assemble it until just before time to serve. This worked out in my sister-in-law’s favor for Thanksgiving because she can’t eat the cake portion of the trifle. She did get a small bowl of the pudding and mousse to enjoy instead.
How to make a Peppermint Trifle
I recommend making the cake and pudding the day before, or at least early in the morning so that they have time to cool/set up.
- 1 Chocolate Cake Mix (I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Chocolate Premium Cake Mix)
- Eggs & Oil as suggested on box
- 3.3 oz Jell-o Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Milk as required on the box
- 3.3 oz Jello-Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 8oz Cool Whip, defrosted
- ¼ cup Butter, softened
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 8 Candy Canes, crushed
- 4 Candy Canes crushed
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Bake in a 13x9" pan
- Allow to cool completely
- Prepare the pudding according to the directions on the box.
- Allow to set up in the fridge, in a covered bowl, for at least 2 hours.
- Crush 8 candy canes (I did this in my Nutri Ninja Nutri Bowl)
- In a bowl beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar.
- Carefully fold in the Cool Whip.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the pudding, milk, vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Fold in the crushed candy canes.
- Gently fold the pudding mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Crush 4 more candy canes.
- Cut the cake into 1" cubes.
- Place a layer of cake on the bottom of the trifle dish.
- Next layer half of the mousse on top of the cake.
- Next layer all of the chocolate pudding.
- Make another layer of cake cubes.
- Top that with the rest of the mousse.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.
I hope you enjoy all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. Please share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this page. Thanks!