Hubby and I both like Buffalo wings but sometimes it is just cost prohibitive to go out and get wings. For this reason, I have sought out easy recipes that I can make at home. I found a cumbersome Buffalo chicken Casserole recipe online and I simplified it so that we could all enjoy it.
This recipe feeds 2-4 people but it could easily be doubled and made in a 9×13″ pan to feed a larger family.
- 1½ cups cooked and cubed chicken (follow my recipe for crockpot shredded chicken but cube it instead.
- ½ box Penne Pasta
- ⅓ cup Buffalo sauce
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ TBS butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 TBS flour
- ½ cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Cook pasta according to directions on box.
- In a medium pot melt butter.
- Add garlic to the butter and cook for about a minute, don't let it brown or it will be bitter.
- Add flour to post and mix with fork until combined.
- Whisk in the Buffalo sauce.
- Pour the milk into the pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil lower the heat to the lowest setting. Add the cheddar cheese and ½ cup of mozzarella. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Spray an 8" square baking dish with non-stick spray.
- When the pasta is cooked and drained, pour it into the pan with the Buffalo sauce, add the chicken and mix well.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs and remaining mozzarella cheese over the casserole.
- Bake for 15 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted on top.
2. If the chicken is cold, warm it up a bit in the microwave before adding it to the casserole.
The other day my husband brought home 3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts that he got on sale. I immediately popped them in the crockpot and followed my Shredded Chicken recipe. I got 1 1/2 cups of cubed chicken for this recipe and 6 cups of shredded chicken, which I separated into two 3 cup portions and froze for future recipes.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!