A few years ago we had a family reunion. My in-laws rented a house on the water in Homosassa Springs, FL. To share in the work load, each family was in charge of a different meal. My husband’s cousin and his wife were in charge of breakfast one morning. The night before they left the campfire and went inside to start preparing breakfast. I thought it was odd but I stayed and enjoyed my s’mores. The next morning breakfast was several pans of Overnight Breakfast Casserole. I was hesitant to eat it because up to that point, I wasn’t a fan of sausage. Well, I tried a few bites and fell in love! This dish proved to me I like sausage…just not sausage links. I have been making this recipe ever since that reunion weekend. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Scroll down for printable recipe:
2 1/2 cups of herbed croutons
2 cups of mild cheddar cheese
1 lb Jimmy Dean mild sausage
2 1/2 cups of milk
3/4 tsp of dry mustard
1 can cream of mushroom
1/4 cup of milk
1. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
2. Brown and drain the sausage.
3. Layer croutons on the bottom of the pan.
4. Add a layer of cheese
5. Layer the sausage next
6. In a bowl, mix eggs, 2 1/2 cups of milk and mustard
7. Pour the egg mixture over top of layers.
8. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
The following morning:
9. Preheat oven to 350.
10. Mix soup and 1/4 cup of milk.
11. Pour soup mixture over top of casserole.
12. Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
13. Let set a few minutes prior to serving.
- 2 1/2 cups of herbed croutons
- 2 cups of mild cheddar cheese
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean mild sausage
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 3/4 tsp of dry mustard
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1/4 cup of milk
- The Night Before
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Brown and drain the sausage.
- Layer croutons on the bottom of the pan
- Add a layer of cheese
- Layer the sausage next
- In a bowl, mix eggs, 2 1/2 cups of milk and mustard
- Pour the egg mixture over top of layers.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- The following morning:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix soup and 1/4 cup of milk.
- Pour soup mixture over top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Let set a few minutes prior to serving.
We enjoy this recipe when we are having "breakfast for supper". On those occasions I make the casserole up in the morning and bake it in the evening.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!