A few years ago we had a family reunion. My in-laws rented a house on the water in Homosassa Springs, FL. To share in the work load, each family was in charge of a different meal. My husband’s cousin and his wife were in charge of breakfast one morning. The night before they left the campfire and went inside to start preparing breakfast. I thought it was odd but I stayed and enjoyed my s’mores. The next morning breakfast was several pans of Overnight Breakfast Casserole. I was hesitant to eat it because up to that point, I wasn’t a fan of sausage. Well, I tried a few bites and fell in love! This dish proved to me I like sausage…just not sausage links. I have been making this recipe ever since that reunion weekend. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Scroll down for printable recipe:
2 1/2 cups of herbed croutons
2 cups of mild cheddar cheese
1 lb Jimmy Dean mild sausage
2 1/2 cups of milk
3/4 tsp of dry mustard
1 can cream of mushroom
1/4 cup of milk
1. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
2. Brown and drain the sausage.
3. Layer croutons on the bottom of the pan.
4. Add a layer of cheese
5. Layer the sausage next
6. In a bowl, mix eggs, 2 1/2 cups of milk and mustard
7. Pour the egg mixture over top of layers.
8. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
The following morning:
9. Preheat oven to 350.
10. Mix soup and 1/4 cup of milk.
11. Pour soup mixture over top of casserole.
12. Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
13. Let set a few minutes prior to serving.
- 2 1/2 cups of herbed croutons
- 2 cups of mild cheddar cheese
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean mild sausage
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 3/4 tsp of dry mustard
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1/4 cup of milk
- The Night Before
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Brown and drain the sausage.
- Layer croutons on the bottom of the pan
- Add a layer of cheese
- Layer the sausage next
- In a bowl, mix eggs, 2 1/2 cups of milk and mustard
- Pour the egg mixture over top of layers.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- The following morning:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix soup and 1/4 cup of milk.
- Pour soup mixture over top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Let set a few minutes prior to serving.
We enjoy this recipe when we are having "breakfast for supper". On those occasions I make the casserole up in the morning and bake it in the evening.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!
This post is featured at Mess For Less-20 Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes!