Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in this post are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
I love to bake and if you follow my Tasty Treats Pinterest board you know how true that statement is. I had hoped to make a Rainbow Cake for our Easter Celebration and the cookbook, Simply Sweet ColorCakes: Wow-Worthy Desserts Anyone Can Make arrived in mailbox just in time! I was in love with this cookbook the minute it arrived. I am sure I will be sharing more colorful and delicious recipes from this book over the next few months because it is chock full of spring and summertime treats.
Featuring over 125 colorful cakes, cookies, ice cream treats, cupcakes and more, readers will find inspiration on every page of COLORCAKES. With a photo for every recipe, there are cute and clever treats perfect for every occasion from snack-time to party-time. The cookbook guides bakers through every step with “Simply Smart” secrets for making the recipes even easier and “Color Wow!” tips on how to take your treat to the next level, as well as how-tos for creating eye-popping designs and cutouts for your creations. Best of all, most of the recipes can be made in under an hour and some in just 15 minutes! Whether you have an afternoon or a few minutes to whip up something, there’s a show-stopping dessert for you.
The book is divided into six sections:
- sweets on a stick
- crazy for cupcakes
- layer by layer
- cookie jar
- brilliant bars
- cool treats
There is something for every sweet tooth in this cookbook. A few of the recipes I can’t wait to try are the School of Fish Cake pops, Swirled Candy Cane Cupcakes, Orange Ombre Cake, Tie Dyed Cookies, Cheery Chocolate Candy Bars and the Strawberry Lemonade Ice Cream Cupcakes!
How to Make a Rainbow Cake
- 2 15.25 oz packages of white cake mix
- Water vegetable oil and eggs-as called for on the cake mix box
- Gel food coloring red yellow, blue, green plus orange and purple if you can find it.
- 3 16 oz cans ready-to-spread vanilla frosting divided
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Grease six 8" round cake pans, line with parchment paper
- Prepare a double batch of cake mix according to package directions, using water, vegetable oil and eggs
- Divide the batter evenly between 6 bowls (1 1/3 cups of batter in each bowl)
- Stir 1/8 tsp each of blue, green, yellow and purple food coloring into 4 of the batters (you can make purple by combining red and blue)
- Stir 1/2-1 tsp of orange food coloring into the 5th bowl (you can combine red and yellow to make orange)
- Stir 3/4-1 tsp of red food coloring in the 6th bowl of batter
- Pour the batters into the prepared pans
- Bake the cake layers at 350° for 13-15 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes
- Remove cakes from pans to wire racks and cool completely (about 1 hour)
- Beat 2 cans frosting with 1 cup powdered sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes)
- Stack cake layers with 1/3 cup frosting in between each layer
- With 1 1/4 cups frosting, spread a thin layer of frosting on top and sides of cake
- Add remaining can of frosting and 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar to remaining frosting in bowl
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes)
- Divide frosting into 3 bowls
- Tint 2 bowls different shades of light blue
- Frost cake with deepest blue toward the bottom and white frosting on top
- Use back of spoon to blend and swirl frosting
Since I was making this cake for our Easter celebration I kept the type of cake a secret and we made a big deal out of cutting the cake. Everyone, including myself, was really impressed with how beautiful and delicious the cake was.
Have you ever made a Rainbow Cake? Would you give it a try now? Leave me a comment and let me know.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and all of the easy recipes I share here on The Mom Maven. I hope you share them on your social networks. I just ask that you not copy and share the entire recipe with photos. Please use the sharing buttons below and share the link to this post. Thanks!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”