When I wrote my Your Blog Needs Social Sharing Buttons post in February I promised more posts on how I organize my social media, how I manage my time and more savvy blogging tips. Unfortunately, March rushed by in a blur and I was out of the office 7 of the 21 week days! It was a busy month.
We all know that to bring new readers to our blogs we need to be active in social media. When I started blogging back in 2008 my main focus was Twitter and then Facebook. Later we all added Facebook fan pages, StumbleUpon, Google+, Pinterest and Instagram! If you don’t have a plan in place, and a handy timer, each of these social media sites can become a huge time suck and suddenly the day has flown by and you didn’t accomplish your goals.
I have created a printable Daily Social Media Checklist so that I can stay on task and reach my goals while spending time on all seven social networks listed above. My upcoming Blogging Time Management post will go into specific details of how I schedule things but for starters, I’ll explain how the checklist works.
My Daily Social Media Goals
My overall goal is to share my posts on all of the major social networks, share posts from others and engage in conversations with others. I do this by focusing on 5 a day. Here is an example of what I want to accomplish in a day on Twitter:
- Share 5 posts from other people-they can be in your tribe, niche or from linkys
- @ message 5 people to engage in conversation
- Follow 5 new people
- RT 5 tweets from other people
- Share that day’s post from your blog 2x
- Share an old post from your blog 2x
By following a similar pattern for all of the social media outlets you will be active without taking too much time out of your schedule.
How to Use the Daily Social Media Checklist
- Start with a fresh list each day. You can print a new one or laminate it and use a dry erase marker or grease pencil to mark off items as you complete them.
- As you add your posts to linkys, mark down on the sheet as you comment, pin and share posts from the linkys.
- Each morning as you visit each social media site set your timer for 10 minutes for Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest and 5 minutes for Instagram and StumbleUpon. During that time your goal is to interact as much as possible, without wasting time.
- Using your checklist as a guide try to complete at least half of the tasks for that media outlet.
- When the timer goes off close that tab and move on to the next site.
- Once you have completed your morning hour of social media move on to other tasks for a few hours.
- In the afternoon or evening. Come back and repeat steps 3-5 again and try to finish your checklist.
I hope you find my Printable Daily Social Media Checklist a handy tool. Please feel free to Pin this post or share it with your friends using the social sharing buttons on this post. If you have any questions or comments please leave me a comment on this post so we can chat!