In all honesty, in my house we are really bad about eating our veggies. I know this is something we really need to work on. We all need to eat healthier and vegetables are a part of a healthy diet. Living in Florida it seems there are always vegetables in season, I just need to actually buy them, prepare them and eat them. Today’s recipe is one that I think my mom would love and I hope you do too.
Pan Roasted Florida Vegetables
This recipe comes from the Fresh From Florida website. **This recipe is a bit more involved than my usual “Easy Recipes” but I think you can do this!
- 1 large eggplant, large diced (remove skin if desired)
- 2 zucchini, large diced
- 2 large squash, large diced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced large
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 12 mushrooms, rinsed and quartered
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, hand torn
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- canola or olive oil for cooking
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Pre heat a large-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add half of the onion to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add half of the garlic and all the bell peppers to the onion mixture in the pan. Continue to cook the vegetables in the pan and add all of the yellow squash and zucchini to the pan.
- Lightly season the cooking vegetables with salt and pepper. Let the vegetables cook until the squash is just crisp-tender (about two minutes). Remove the vegetables from the pan into a large serving bowl. Place the sauté pan back over the heat and use a spatula to remove any debris.
- Once the pan is hot again, add 1 tablespoon oil and the other half of the diced onion. Let the onions cook for 2 minutes and then add the garlic, mushrooms and eggplant. Lightly season the cooking vegetables with salt and pepper. Let the vegetables cook until the eggplant is just tender (about 2 minutes).
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and place them into the bowl with the other vegetables. Add the fresh herbs to the bowl of vegetables and stir to combine. Serve warm.
Do you have a favorite recipe for fresh veggies? Please share your link or pin in the comments.