I am a lifelong fan of all of the characters from the Hundred Acre Woods so I looked forward to seeing Winnie the Pooh in theaters earlier this year. Unfortunately, we never made it to the theater but last week we were able to enjoy the BLU-Ray and its bonus features in the comfort of our own home!
We enjoyed this brief (66 minute) trip back to the woods with our friends Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger, Owl, Kanga, Roo and of course, Christopher Robin. The three intertwined story lines of Eeyore’s missing tail, Pooh’s search for honey and a wild goose chase to save Christopher Robin from an imaginary monster all felt familiar, yet new. They perfectly fit with previous Pooh movies and were inspired by three stories in A.A. Milne’s books. The new music by Zooey Deschanel was a perfect fit with the feel of the stories and all of the songs in the movie were adorable.
The BLU-Ray bonus features were entertaining and informative.
- Exclusive bonus short “Mini-Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: The Balloon” – In this charming short, Pooh comes up with a daring plan to get a hold of some honey by fooling a group of bees.
- “The Ballad of Nessie” - The animated short film included in the theatrical release is the heartwarming tale of how Nessie found her new home in the Loch Ness.
- “Winnie the Pooh and His Story Too” – A fun and informative behind-the-scenes look at the film, designed for the whole family. Hosted by John Cleese (narrator of the film), and with occasional help from Pooh himself, this featurette explores Winnie the Pooh’s history from his beginnings as a character in a book, to his continued life in the movies. The filmmakers reveal how they worked to keep the look of the characters and settings in this movie consistent with their first appearances on-screen in1966. Pooh, being a bear of very little mind, finds much of this confusing, but the Narrator and the filmmakers make it all clear to Pooh – and you!
- Deleted Scenes introduced by directors, Stephen Anderson and Don Hall – 5 deleted scenes including “The Tummy Song,” “”Rabbit’s Friends and Relations,” “Original Eeyore Intro,” “Original Tigger Intro” and “Pooh Searches for a Tail”
- Sing-Along with the Movie – Follow the red balloon and changing word colors to seven song lyrics featured in the film
- Disney Song Selection – “Winnie the Pooh Theme Song,” “The Tummy Song, “A Very Important Thing To Do,” “The Backson Song,” “It’s Gonna Be Great,” “Everything is Honey” and “The Winner Song Finale”